-storage facilities offer an effective way for individuals and businesses to acquire additional storage space. If you're looking to rent a self-storage unit, ask yourself this question—do I need a climate-controlled or regular storage unit? Regular storage units aren't heated or cooled. Climate-controlled self-storage units in Metairie, LA, maintain a consistent temperature all year round and offer enhanced humidity control. The purpose of climate control is to prevent heat, cold, and humidity from damaging your stored items. Here are 4 benefits of climate-controlled storage that will help you make the right decision for your valuables.
Louisiana summers are typically full of hot and humid days. Units that offer climate control keep humidity levels around 55 percent. Humidity can be harmful to many items. High humidity can cause photos to stick together, wood furniture to warp, and leather goods to crack.
In Louisiana, temperatures often climb above 85 degrees in the spring and summer months, with oppressive humidity. Sensitive items like bedding and mattresses or leather, wood, upholstered, or wicker furniture, can suffer from warping, splitting, or cracking during those hot, humid days. Mold, rust, corrosion, and fungus can develop and stain papers and fabrics. A climate-controlled storage unit will protect your valuables from damage. Consider these other items that will benefit from a climate-controlled environment:
· Artwork: Paintings and fine art can shrink or expand in extreme temperatures. In humid environments, mold can grow and ruin the artwork.
· Delicate fabrics: Clothes, antique toys, or upholstered furniture can grow mold in humid environments.
· Delicate paper items: Books, magazines, comic books, posters, and photographs can turn yellow in extreme temperatures.
· Electronics: Computers, speakers, phones, televisions, and cameras can corrode and grow mold in humid environments.
· Media: CDs, DVDs, vinyl records, Blu-rays, and video games should be stored in cool, dry environments. High temps can cause these items to warp and become brittle.
· Wine: Wine that's kept in a too-humid environment will age fast, causing a cloudy, brown appearance. If the air is too dry, wine corks will dry out and crumble, compromising the seal or making the bottle almost impossible to open.
· Wood furniture or musical instruments: Antique wood items and woodwind instruments don't do well in high temperatures.
Indoor self-storage facilities with climate-controlled storage units are well-sealed and use mechanical means to circulate the air constantly so that it stays clean. This is something to keep in mind if you're storing electronic items, which benefit from a constant flow of clean air. In addition, the atmosphere tends to be freer from dust and debris and less liable to admit pests and rodents. This provides greater protection for sensitive materials or your prized possessions.
If you store valuables in your garage, basement, or attic, flooding or extreme temperatures can lead to costly damage. When you store your belongings in a climate-controlled unit, you know exactly where they are and that they'll be in good condition when you're ready to pull them out of storage.
Call Affordable Self Storage at (504) 833-1717 today or visit us at www.affordablestorageofmetairie.com if you're looking for local self-storage in Metairie, LA. We offer a wide variety of services at reasonable prices. We also offer FREE 24/7 access, and we don't require you to purchase insurance through us.