Sometimes travel is a hassle. Air travel can be expensive, plus you have to deal with airport parking hassles, security lines, airplane boarding lines, lines to disembark, and cramped seats—all that before you even reach your destination. Driving with a car full of luggage and your family also means cramped space and tedious hours. No wonder so many people are turning to RVs.
RVs offer a great way to see the country and travel. But what about all those times when you're not traveling? You have to park the vehicle somewhere, and most people don't have the extra space for an RV. Even if they do, their homeowner association or neighbors may object. Many municipalities have zoning ordinances that prohibit anything more than temporary parking. The solution is easy—you can rent affordable RV storage space. But, before you do, there are a few things you should know so that you can find the best RV storage space.
Theft, burglary and vandalism are real concerns when thinking about RV storage because RVs and their contents are valuable, so security is a top priority. A perimeter fence tall enough to discourage intruders and good lighting are minimum requirements.
Check for security cameras. Does the storage space have security cameras? How many? Where are they located? Is there a security patrol that monitors the area?
Some sophisticated security systems include infrared beams that set off alarms. This is an effective addition, especially if the beams are broken by unlawful entry, they contact management, the security company, and the police.
Some facilities even offer motion detectors*, placed in the RV, so if an unauthorized person enters, alarms are sounded. These motion detector are automatically disarmed when the owner is granted access to the property.
Several types of RV storage that can be available:
· Storage Slip - Standard storage provides a space where you can park your RV. It sits within a secured lot, but is otherwise similar to parking the vehicle in your driveway.
· Covered Storage* - A covered storage space is similar to a carport. While it won't block out all weather, it covers your RV and provides protection. It's a bit more expensive than uncovered space, but less costly than enclosed or inside storage.
· Enclosed Storage* - As the name implies, this type of enclosed or inside storage offers the most protection. Your RV is fully enclosed, protected from the weather and has the added security of additional walls. This is the most expensive option and may not be available for all larger RVs and fifth-wheelers.
RV storage rates vary depending on the type of storage you choose. Your personal preferences, priorities, and budget will help you decide which is right for you.
· Remove all perishable items from the RV and leave drawers and cabinets open.
· Defrost the refrigerator and clean it. Leave the door open and leave an open box of baking soda in it to prevent odors.
· If you use a cover, make sure it's breathable so mold and mildew won't grow.
· Make sure all blinds are down to protect furnishings from sun damage.
· Turn the main LPG supply valve off and cover vents to keep insects out.
· Remove the battery (negative terminal first) and store it. To prevent freezing, check the battery every month and keep it as close to fully charged as possible.
· Add fuel stabilizer and run the engine so it can circulate. Start your engine every two months and let your car run for a few minutes. Let the generator run for at least two hours as well.
· Before putting your RV into storage, change the oil.
· Check that you have the proper amount of antifreeze.
Storing your RV in an affordable self-storage facility that caters to RVs is a smart, hassle-free option. Check out Affordable Self Storage for RV storage space in Metairie today. With Affordable Self Storage, you get the best; 24/7 access, 24/7 surveillance, digital keypad access, and you don’t have to worry about paying administration fees, purchasing insurance through us, or signing a contract! To save money and have peace of mind, visit our website at http://www.affordablestorageofmetairie.com/ or give us a call at 504-833-1717 to learn more!
*While Affordable Self Storage does not provide motion detectors, covered or enclosed parking, we can assure that you can have peace of mind knowing all safety measures we do have in place will keep your valuables safe and secure.